Visitation & Parenting Time in Indianapolis

Helping Parents & Family Members Get Visitation Rights

Indiana state law refers to visitation as parenting time, in recognition of the fact that the periods of visitation are the noncustodial parent's opportunity to fulfill his or her duties as a parent. Children do best when they have both parents in their lives, even when the mother and father do not live in the same household. Whenever it is in the best interests of the children to do so, the family law court will award reasonable rights of visitation to a parent who has not received child custody in a divorce.

Whether you are interested in establishing visitation rights, protecting your right to parenting time during a divorce, or need to modify the existing plan of visitation, you can find help from an Indianapolis divorce lawyer at Bowen & Associates, LLC. We understand how important it is for you to play a meaningful role in your child's life, and we want to assist you with obtaining court orders that protect your relationship with your child. Contact us now for a free case evaluation to discuss your options and get started on a plan of action!

Visitation Rights for Unmarried Fathers

It is also possible for a father to obtain rights of visitation when he has not been married to the mother. If you fathered a child who was born out of wedlock - but you did not sign an affidavit of paternity - then you will most likely have to file a paternity action in order to legally establish yourself as the biological father of your child. Once this is done, you can then file an action in court to gain visitation rights.

Visitation Rights for Grandparents

Visitation is also available under certain circumstances to grandparents in Indianapolis. Provided that one of the parents has passed away or that the parents are divorced, the grandparents on either side of the family can petition the court for reasonable rights of visitation. The court will review the situation to determine what is in the best interests of the children, as well as what efforts the grandparents have made in the past to have a relationship with the grandchildren.

Parenting Time FAQ

We recognize that parenting time is a complex legal matter that may require further explanation. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to talk with our firm for clarity. We want you to protect the best interests of your children and will take every necessary effort to help you preserve the relationship you have with them. We have, therefore, provided answers to some of the frequently asked questions that our clients bring about. Read through them for a greater understanding of your situation.

What is supervised parenting time?
If you are awarded supervised parenting, then the parenting time you have with your child must be supervised. This is ordered when parenting time with the child would seemingly endanger the child's physical health or could impair his or her emotional development. If the situation improves, supervised parenting time can be upgraded to unsupervised parenting time.

The court can order any of the following parties to oversee the parenting time:

  • Social service agency
  • Juvenile court staff
  • Local probation department
  • Private agency
  • Another trusted individual

Can parenting time orders be modified?
Yes, parenting time orders can be changed in many different situations. You will need to file a motion to modify the parenting time order and will have to prove to a judge that a significant change of circumstances has occurred.

What is "reasonable visitation?"
If the judge determined that you or your spouse is entitled to "reasonable visitation," it is often left up to the parents of the child to come up with a plan. This is more common in situations when the parents are able to cooperate with one another.

Contact Bowen & Associates, LLC Today

Whether you are a father, mother, grandparent, or another party, our family law firm can stand by you during the legal process of pursuing parenting time of a child or children. Experienced help is available at our firm.

Call us today to schedule your free divorce case evaluation!

Contact Bowen & Associates

We Will Relentlessly Pursue Justice On Your Behalf

Send My Message